Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ballet Slippers ~ Love's Old, Sweet Song






 Love's Old, Sweet Song

Feeling very sentimental today.
I LOVE vintage ballet collectibles.  Dresses, tutus, Pointe shoes, slippers, etc.
I was cleaning the other day and ran across my daughters pink ballet slippers (first few photos).
They are so tiny and sweet.  I inserted some antique sheet music to help them retain their shape.  Because I love "her".... a love song seemed appropriate.  She began taking lessons when she was three.  She would stand on my feet and we would dance around the house.  I can still feel her tiny feet on mine.
She now lives in Seattle and is a very busy young Doctor.  I miss her so very much.  She is so busy that she has little time for "mom".
I also found some of her toys, her baby blanket, baby clothes and costumes (along with my son's little things).
When I unwrapped them....  I caught myself smelling them to see if the "baby" smell was still there.
I am so glad I kept them.  Now that they are all grown up....  these sweet little things make me feel good.  For just a moment....  they are little all over again.
The little porcelain Ballerina was my sweet grandmothers when she was little.  My mother gave it to me.  I will treasure it always.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!
Elizabeth

I am linking with Faded Charm

and

French Country Charm
for
Feathered Nest Friday!

and

My Romantic Home
for
Show and Tell Friday!

9 comments:

Sylvia said...

Ohhh, how sweet, my granddaughter took ballet, I wonder if my kept her shoes and tutu's. I'll have to ask her. I love to smell babies too!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

How sweet Elizabeth! It must have been wonderful for you to dig out these treasures of your children's youth. Dr. daughter had better make more time for dear Mom!

Love the slippers and tutu dresses. :)

Victoria said...

What a beautiful post Elizabeth! I took ballet in England and I had little ballet slippers with the elastic strap across the top:) I had very short hair...the dreaded Page Boy cut...and I was so envious of the girls with long hair, put up in buns, with hair nets.

Lovely pics!

Pat C. said...

Aww, what a touching post... it brought tears to my eyes. You put it so eloquently: "For just a moment... they are little all over again." (((hugs)))

The photos you posted of the vintage ballet shoes and dresses are all beautiful, but the ones of your daughter's ballet slippers are my favorites.♥

xoxo

lala said...

The ballet shoes and costumes are absolutely precious!! It is so wonderful that these items can bring back so many happy memories for you. My son is 23, but every time I gaze upon his favorite stuffed animal (I keep it under a large glass cloche on my dresser) it never fails to bring back a flood of memories and always puts a smile on my face.

lvroftiques said...

Hi Liz!!
Oh my goodness this post is just sooo precious! I love love love all the sweet ballet pretties! And your story about your DD is so touching.
...And I have to say this is just so funny.....The couronne de mariee you saw with my doll is YOUR couronne! *winks* What a small world it is huh? (And what good eyes you have!) I hope you'll share your boudoir ladies...As you can tell I have a real passion for them lol! Vanna

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh how I wish I had kept my ballet slippers. What a super idea. I love your story. This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

sharon's shabby creations said...

Wonderfull you blog is so beautifull i am your follower directly!!!

Hugs sharon

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh what a sweet post, her ballet slippers and her dress's Oh what a treasure to hang in your home!

Carol